Sunday, January 19, 2014

"Air" means "Water" in Indonesian




Picture that tropical paradise island, volcanic sands lapped by azure waters, lush vegetation springing out between thatch bungalows, a soft ocean breeze, where locomotion is by bicycle or horse drawn cart…and the biggest decision is banana pancakes or omelet for breakfast.  The island of Gili Air is named for the water that surrounds it, lapping up on the lovely beaches.  It is the way Bali was 30 years ago, like the Thai beaches we visited in 1980, and probably like Mexico was even before that – palapas on the beach, informal signs tacked to coconut trees advertising meals for the equivalent of $2-4.  

To back up, how did I get here?

In my last post, I had just completed a circuit of the Australian state of Victoria, driving the Great Ocean Road and visiting the Grampians.  After turning in my rental car (dent-free despite the left-side driving!) at the Melbourne airport, I flew to Hobart on Christmas Day, and did my best to see as much of Tasmania as I could over the next week. 

Watching the yachts come in to Hobart
Hobart was in a frenzy of excitement about the Sydney-Hobart Race about to start on the 26th and the Taste of Tasmania, due to open a few days later. 













Tombstone in Hobart cemetery
Hobart is old by Australian standards, one of the first cities to be founded in the early 1800’s when England could not longer send their unwanted felons to the US and had to find a new dumping ground.  Australia was it.  And Tasmania, being ALMOST at the end of the known world, was deemed to be perfect. 







Guide at Sarah Island explaining feature of penal colony
I had read The Fatal Shore, and was interested in seeing some of the old penal colonies. 








I was also keen to see all of the other famous features of Tasmania – white sandy beaches, waterfalls, wallabies, wombats and wilderness. 
 Pademelons in Tasmania


Over the course of 6 days, I visited two penal colonies, circuited the island, shot photos of exotic animals, hiked many many many kilometers and met some people from all over the world on my tours groups. 
Tasmanian wilderness area
 

 I had opted to join tours rather than drive myself and I was very glad I did.  The group with which I did the island circuit bonded over four days – I will long remember our pizza in Strahan with 14 people from 13 different countries (China, Malaysia, Hong Kong, Japan, US, Burma, Sweden, Germany, Holland, Australia, India, Wales and England) all speaking English in their own way. 
New Year's Eve in Hobart


We enjoyed each other so much we reconvened for New Years Eve in Hobart, to watch the last of the yachts come in and the fireworks go off.

A special highlight in Hobart was my visit to MONA, the Museum of Old and New Art, built and owned by a Tasmania native who grew up in a blue-collar neighborhood of Hobart.  Being a math whiz and gifted with Asperger’s, he managed to make his fortune in gambling, and in 2011 opened MONA, a museum that redefines the ‘art museum’ experience.  It’s been described as ‘Disneyland for adults’ and I was mesmerized.  I was glad I had set aside the entire day for the trip and I would highly recommend a stop even if you were not the kind of person who likes museums.  It starts with a ferry ride, followed by a climb up 99 steps to the entrance, then a walk or elevator back down to the first floor.  The exhibits and installations reflect the owners broad and eccentric interests with 4000 yr. old Egyptian sarcophagi placed in the same room as pieces created only months ago.  Live music ricochets off the live rock walls from the first floor to the third, and the rhythmic sound of water from an installation forms a constant backdrop.  The museum pulses and vibrates with energy and excitement – it is quite amazing.  Instead of an audio guide, you receive an IPOD with commentary about each piece provided by the owner or the curator…quite absorbing. 


Hell's Gate in the background - in the Roaring Forties
Sailing was also high on my interest in Tasmania…not only was I able to see the yachts from that fabled race, but on one of our tours, I went through Hells Gates, the entrance to the penal colony with the worst reputation in Tasmania: Sarah Island.  Hell’s Gates is in the Roaring 40’s, a narrow slot between two craggy rocks that sailing ships had to navigate to supply the penal colony.  That is now the farthest point south I have been on a boat.  When I was on the ferry to MONA, I met some people who were involved with the Launceston to Hobart Race (which happens about the same time) and we exchanged sailing stories.  An hour later we bumped into each other in the museum – they had been looking for me to see if I might want to help deliver the boat back to Melbourne.   I was tempted…what an opportunity!  But I would not have been guaranteed of arriving in Bali in time to meet my son, Reid, who is due on Jan 14.

Another welcome aspect of Hobart was the weather – which was much like home in the summer (which is the season that it was in Hobart) – I was very comfortable in shorts and a T shirt, with a light jacket when the wind came up.

I left Australia with many new friends and a great deal of regret.  It was interesting to see how another former British colony was like us, and yet very different.  At Port Arthur (another penal colony), about 10 years ago a lone gunman opened fire in the cafĂ©, having already killed some of his family, and then took off on a shooting spree on the way back to Hobart, killing 35 people.  The event so galvanized the country that laws were passed implementing much stricter regulations about gun ownership, including a ban on assault weapons.  People were asked to turn in their guns…and they did!  Amazing.  Why can’t we do that?

 From Hobart I flew to Indonesia and took a taxi to my guesthouse in Ubud.  My guesthouse was on  a quiet road that parallels the tourist-ridden Monkey Forest Road (of Eat Pray Love fame).  But, not being the tourist avenue, it was lined with rice fields and tiny home-run restaurants - quite lovely.
Entrance to my room


Even the water towers are elegant
Just outside my hotel in Ubud

Even a Starbucks in Ubud
Ubud is not a beach town; rather it is a center for arts and culture.  Tourists are not allowed to walk the streets in bikinis and garb that might offend the locals in Ubud…it never fails to horrify me to see what people think is appropriate in foreign countries with beachfront…and it is sad that the local people have to pass a law to keep their towns the way they want them!

Classic Ubud gate
Unlike the rest of Indonesia, Bali is predominantly Hindu and Hindu art is exuberantly evident in every sightline.  Ubud is set among rice fields with elaborately decorated guest houses cheek to jowl with intricately carved temple gates, all fringed with lush greenery bursting out all over – bananas, palms, papaya and all kinds of plants we only see indoors just explode between buildings.  Lush and lovely.  I can wander the streets for hours, marveling at the sheer concentration of artistic accomplishment.

Morning market in Ubud
Everyone and everything seems to have an aesthetic sense.  Orange marigolds brighten steps and shrines and even the cheapest menu item is presented with beauty.  In Malaysia, if you order Nasi Goreng (fried rice) you get a plate with a pile of fried rice and a fork stuck in it.  In Bali, the rice is molded into a form, set on a banana leaf cut like a flower, and garnished with a marigold or two. 

Local produce
Dragon fruit

I seized the opportunity to experience as much of Bali as I can, starting with a Balinese massage.  I don’t know if I was just sore from traveling, or if the masseur's hands were that much stronger, but I definitely was put through the wringer.  He even climbed on the table to apply pressure along my spine.  The best massage I have ever had, all for less than $10.  I also took a Balinese cooking class one morning, which started with a trip to the local market and culminated in lunch.  The best part was that I left with a printout of the recipes.  Stay tuned for some Balinese cooking next time we do potluck!  And I finished off my last day in Ubud with a ticket to traditional Balinese Legong dance…another experience in grace and beauty.  I’m actually hoping I get to see the same show again when Reid arrives, as the plot (an ancient Balinese/Hindu legend) is a timeless classic.

Chicken ball soup and saffron rice
Stuffed banana leaves before steaming
Satay, Urab and fish in banana leaf





Yoga center platform
After four days in Ubud, I jumped on a  ‘fast boat’ to Gili Air, one of three tiny islands between Bali and Lombok.  I am staying at a yoga center in the center of an island that measures only 3 miles around.  There are no motorized vehicles on any of the three islands…people get around on rusty bicycles or horse carts – which also serve to carry cargo and anything needing to be moved around.  Unlike Bali,  these islands, like the rest of Indonesia, are Muslim, and the warbling moan of the muezzin can be heard from the local mosque 5 times a day. 

Fishing boats off Gili Air

Boat yard on Gili Air
 

This place reminds me of Thailand 30 years ago, but 10 years from now, it will not be the sleeping fishing village it still is.  A bit sad, I have to say; in the meeting of subsistence living and industrialized culture, subsistence living gets the short stick.   I wish people could
just appreciate the beauty without adding the beer and the bass woofers!  It’s a bit hilarious to see ‘Free Wi-Fi” (which they pronounce why-fee) chalked onto the lunch board along with gado-gado and mee goring!  But the yoga center is quiet and a nice respite: it’s been a great way to work out the kinks from 10 weeks on a boat and 3 more weeks of constant travelling.  

Other than bicycle, the only form of transport on Gili Air

 I left Gili Air reluctantly, and spent a night in Padangbag, the fishing village that serves as the terminus for the fast boats to the islands.  This is one of the villages from which the fleet of junkung boats left the morning we sailed past Bali for the first time in October, and the beach is lined with them, all pulled up on shore. I'll be leaving here today to return to Ubud and wait for my son Reid to arrive in a couple of days.