Friday, May 4, 2012

Hanging in Honolulu

Why is my SPOT showing me in Hawai'i??? 
The famed Waikiki beach, right around the corner from the Poor Boyz Yacht Club, where the boat is moored

Friends who came to catch lines as we pulled in
Some readers may recall that I was going to sail to Hawai'i from Port Townsend last year with a woman from Campbell River.  At the last minute, our trip was postponed when our third crew person cancelled, and by the time Alice found a replacement, I was no longer able to join. But I promised her I would join on her next leg.
True Blue at the dock - Alice at the dodger, Anne on the starboard side deck





the other side of the tracks from Waikiki Beach
 Having wintered over in Hawai'i, Alice is ready to move on, along with a third crew person, Anne.  I flew in on Tuesday night to join the boat and help with the last-minute preparation - we had planned to leave for AUSTRALIA (!!!) on Friday but I arrived to find Alice in the hospital emergency room with a bad GI issue.  She is now on the mend, and we are making the list of last-minute provisions and boat organization...the departure now looks imminent.   The plan is to sail for Australia with stops in....Samoa? Cook Islands? Solomon Islands?...to be determined.